History

Today, Mid-America College proudly continues to provide a timely learning experience for its students, with a foundation firmly rooted in a century of tradition established by its predecessors - The Kentucky School of Mortuary Science and the Indiana College of Mortuary Science.

Kentucky School of Mortuary Science was established in 1895 and was located at various locations in Louisville, KY. Its Final location was 2nd and St. Catherine streets across from Walnut Street Baptist Church. E. Leland Hughes, who for years served as Dean, President and Owner, was a large contributor to the success of the college due to his vigor and enthusiasm. In November of 1971 Karl O. Heilman, another noted figure on the national scene of mortuary science education was appointed Dean of the Kentucky School. On January 1, 1972, the Pierce Organization assumed total responsibility for the institution. In January of 1974, John R. Braboy became president after graduating from Dallas Institute in March of 1968 and serving as Dean of Students for that institution in 1973. Mr. Braboy had the unique opportunity to be president of two mortuary colleges at once from 1978-1980. The institution graduated its last class in September of 1980.

Indiana College of Mortuary Science was established in 1905 in Indianapolis, IN as the Askin Training School for Embalmers by Clifford G. Askins. For the first 10 years he was the sole instructor. In 1915 as additional curriculum was added, a 6-month program was initiated. From 1916-1924 it was known as the Askin College of Embalming and in 1934 it was changed to the Indiana College of Embalming. In 1924 a 9-month program was added to the existing 6-month program. Mr. Askin retired in 1941 after 36 years of leadership in the field of mortuary education. He was Dean Emeritus until his death on October 15, 1944. Its final location was on 38th Street in Indianapolis as they moved into those facilities in August 1964. The last class graduated in September of 1980.

In 1979, at its former location in Indianapolis, the Board of Trustees of the Indiana College of Mortuary Science authorized a change of institutional name to better reflect the geographical area or region served by the College. In addition, with the expansion of the basic mortuary science curriculum to include greater emphasis in the social sciences and business management, "funeral service", rather than mortuary science, more accurately portrayed the contemporary curriculum offered to all students through the educational programs of the College. In 1980, the "new" Mid-America College of Funeral Service moved to modern facilities in Jeffersonville, within the Louisville, Kentucky metropolitan area, and consolidated with students and faculty of the Kentucky School of Mortuary Science, recently purchased by the College.

Mid-America College is a member of Pierce Mortuary Colleges, Inc. Other member educational institutions include the Dallas Institute of Funeral Service, in Dallas, Texas, and Gupton-Jones College of Funeral Service in Atlanta, Georgia. As a result of this joint association, the combined students and faculty of all three colleges share in many advantages which a single institution alone could not provide.

The positive growth of Mid-America College and its programs is evidenced by its continued recognition and accreditation by the American Board of Funeral Service Education. The Associate of Applied Science Degree in Funeral Service, authorized by the Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education, provides evidence of positive direction and efforts by the College to prepare its students to better meet the needs of a more sophisticated consumer public as well as to address changes within a progressive and dynamic profession such as funeral service.

The Board of Trustees, along with faculty and staff, today continues to serve the student and the funeral service profession with the same focus of direction and dedication as had been the practice and tradition of both the Kentucky School of Mortuary Science and the Indiana College of Mortuary Science for one hundred years.

Board of Trustees

John W. Firestone
Joseph U. Suhor, III
Dennis P. Welzenbach
Bill W. Forsberg
Michael Meierhoffer
Ann Mesle


spacer